Staying Safe - Prevent Duty
Part of the Organisation’s safeguarding duty includes protecting vulnerable individuals from the risk of radicalisation and extremism. This is called the ‘Prevent Duty’.
Prevent is a government initiative aimed at stopping people becoming involved with (radicalised), or supporting violent extremism.
What is Radicalisation?
The government definition is that radicalisation is a process by which an individual or group comes to adopt increasingly extreme political, social, or religious ideals and aspirations that reject or undermine the status quo or reject and/or undermine contemporary ideas and expressions of freedom of choice.
What is Extremism?
The government has defined extremism as: “vocal or active opposition to British values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs”. The college shares and promotes these values across our community.
British Values, Equality & Diversity:
Throughout Addysg Oedolion Cymru | Adult Learning Wales we follow governmental principles on British Values, these are:
• The freedom to live as you wish and go where you want
• Helping you to making informed choices
• Taking responsibility for your choices and exercising them safely.• Making sure you know your rights.
Justice – Rule of Law:
• Fairness in the way people are dealt with
• Exploring the laws that govern and protect us.• Understanding the consequences if these rules are broken.• Considering that these may be different from religious laws.
• The belief in freedom and equality between people
• A broad general knowledge & respect of public institutions and services
• Helping you to influence decision-making through the democratic process
• Explaining the advantages and disadvantages of democracy.
Respect – Mutual Respect:
• Tolerance of those with different respects and beliefs
• Understanding how your behaviour has an effect on your own rights and those of others
• Respecting other people’s differences, other cultures and ways of life
• Challenging prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour.
If you have any concerns regarding Prevent, radicalisation or extremism, please contact Cath Hicks, Head of Learner Services and Resources (Designated Safeguarding Lead) - by email or telephone 03300 580845 / 07931 204613 or send an email to our Safeguarding Officers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Staying Safe - British Values
Staying Safe - Online